TRF Forums

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:53 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Keeping the site up to date
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:13 am 
400 cc

I know that it is not easy to maintain a website every day but it is important that they don't become so out of date that they are perceived as dead sites.
The "Welcome" page on the main site has a section on the right called "Upcoming Events" and it lists 11 events; 8 of those 11 events have already happened, some of them three months ago!

It just looks so bad to any potential new member visiting the site to see that it is so far out of date.

Post subject: Re: Keeping the site up to date
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:50 pm 
80 cc

I agree.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:14 am 
125cc

+1.

It was a big step forward when the site was revamped a few months ago, much more professional looking. We need to keep up the momentum and good work.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:16 pm 
125cc

yep i agree with what your saying but if anyone did look in on the main page for the first time, there would be one trf event on display "devon's haccadown woods" in august, unless there are other events in august not displayed yet it would look like the trf doesn't put many events on through out the year.
just a view from the other side of the coin thats all...

cheers ian :)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:18 pm 
80 cc

When I created the East Mids web site, I wrote is such that News Items would be automatically deleted once the event date expired, to keep the web site 'fresh'.

Having News Items a month or so out of date is not a problem, but when they, for example, talk about an event last year it, IMHO, makes the site look very poor.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:33 am 
125cc

wackyracer wrote:
yep i agree with what your saying but if anyone did look in on the main page for the first time, there would be one trf event on display "devon's haccadown woods" in august, unless there are other events in august not displayed yet it would look like the trf doesn't put many events on through out the year.

That is a valid point Ian, however there must be loads of news and events going on that are not listed? Obviously it needs groups to regularly forward information to the PR Officer or whoever is responsible for the site updates.

One thing about the old site that I found a bit disappointing was that it never changed from year to year so I think people stop looking at it. It can't be a major job to spend an hour or two every month "freshening" it up, provided that members do their bit and supply the information?

It is still a major improvement and well done to everyone involved.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:02 pm 
400 cc

I agree with the general trend of this thread.

There have been several obvious RoW developments in recent weeks which I would have thought warranted a "news flash" on the TRF site front page.

This would not only keep the site looking fresh but would inform both existing members and equally importantly, prospective members about what the TRF is doing and achieving around the country.

As previously suggested, a publicly accessible gallery of carefully selected imagesd showing a representative sample of the kind of riding that we do wouldn't go amiss either.

cheers

Richard

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:50 am 
125cc

News items are usually sent to the it@trf.org.uk email address. Unfortunately, it would appear that email to Simon doesn't always arrive on his machine. If you've asked for something to be posted on the web-site you can always telephone him to find out if he received it. The advantage of using the telephone is that you know instantly whether or not your communication has reached the recipient.

Polly

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:42 pm 
400 cc

wackyracer wrote:

Just move the stuff that has already happened into a box marked Recent Events for a period of say three months then delete them. That way the page stays full but also stays relevant. At the moment it looks...well sort of dead!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:59 pm 
125cc

Mag wrote:
wackyracer wrote:

Just move the stuff that has already happened into a box marked Recent Events for a period of say three months then delete them. That way the page stays full but also stays relevant. At the moment it looks...well sort of dead!

that sounds cool, logical aswell ;)
maybe we should be looking at orgnising some more events, i mean the way the weather is with climate change and all that (no one mentions global warming any more after 3 wet summers :lol: )its been better in the winter than the summer ;)
Just think a nice trf event held in the snow, who can ride feet up the longest....
there's always ideas its just finding the willing riders :roll:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next