TRF Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:17 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: ouch!
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:17 pm 
650 cc Monster

illegal riding on Salisbury plain

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england ... bury-plain

:shock:

Post subject: Re: ouch!
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:35 am 
650 cc Monster

Serve the owner right.

Illegal riding could cost us the Plain.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:06 am 
650 cc Monster

agreed. we should be tough with illegal riding... zero tolerance even and at the other end of the scale more considerate where legal riding rising is permitted.

in car parks and places where there are people likely to be walking, there are 10 or 15mph speed limits. i think green roads should have similar speed limits the open ones where you can see for miles25mph but where they are enclosed by trees, hedges etc and blind corners or increased likely hood of other users 10 or 15mph...applicable to bicycles and agricultural vehicles too.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:18 pm 
80 cc

I whole heartily agree with the stamping down on illegal riding and using illegal machines/vehicles. however I don't see how a speed limit on the "green" lanes is going to make any difference.......why, because nobody is going to monitor it for a start, the Police don't have the resources to monitor speed on our tarmac highways let alone the green lanes and minor roads, on main roads the local authority's use fixed cameras and traffic enforcement personal who are not the Police and anyway after the 1st 2 lanes in winter my plate (regardless of size!) would be unreadable to these methods.

Also peoples perception of speed of motorbikes or pushbikes for that matter is very different to the actual speed and we often here reports of "maniac or speeding" scramblers when in fact the rider is travelling less than 15mph on a Serow, but to a walker this can seem a very fast approaching speed.

I believe that riding at a sensible speed for the conditions, terrain and your view ahead is all that is required, just like riding on the road really.

Jmc

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:14 pm 
300 cc

Richard Simpson wrote:
Serve the owner right.

Quite agree with this........Except that may have been someone's stolen pride and joy.
Do we know that they did some research first before crushing it to prove it hadn't been stolen?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:51 pm 
125cc

smokinrider wrote:
Richard Simpson wrote:
Serve the owner right.

Quite agree with this........Except that may have been someone's stolen pride and joy.
Do we know that they did some research first before crushing it to prove it hadn't been stolen?

As usual......good point

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:59 pm 
650 cc Monster

If I ever have the misfortune to have a car or bike stolen, I would never want to see it again unless it was just dumped 100yards away because they couldn't start it.
Who knows what damage had been done to it so I'd rather take a hit and start again.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:48 pm 

We dont know, I would have thought if a vehicle is found the police will try to track down the owner, reg, vin etc before further action is taken.

WR400F..Gone for a song.
CRF250L now on the lanes.
Novice off roader for years

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:13 pm 
650 cc Monster

Maybe a technical point...but is that stunt taking place at a registered vehicle dismantling facility?

If not, a criminal offence may have been commissioned.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:30 pm 
300 cc

Read the article. It's on the plain and taken after the owner(unlikely) ran off when approached for illegal riding.

Logic dictates that it must be nicked as you'd take a few quid fine rather than having your grands worth of quad crushed.

Quote taken from MOD page. ...........

"Illegal activity on Salisbury Plain quashed

A quad bike that was recently abandoned on Salisbury Plain during an operation which aims to deter people from taking part in illegal moto-cross and 4x4 off-road activities has been crushed.
Operation Aston is a joint Operation between the Ministry of Defence (MOD), Wiltshire Police and Military Police staff. The latest operation was conducted over three days last month in an effort to educate people about the impact their actions have on the plain and to deter them from taking part in illegal, dangerous and damaging activity.
The operation concentrated on the eastern area of the plain around Bulford/Tidworth and particularly around Sidbury Hill. The bike that was crushed was abandoned by its owner after it was spotted driving illegally.
Lt Col Stewart Andrews, the MOD’s Senior Training Safety Officer for Salisbury Plain Training Area said:
“We have crushed this vehicle to deter further illegal activities by bikers and quads in the future; we hope it will make people realise that we take illegal activity seriously.
“At 94,000 acres Salisbury Plain Training Area is a ‘hotspot’ for off-road activity.
“The Plain is first and foremost a military training area and the military are constantly participating in risk-to-life activities. When people disregard the rules and leave the Public Rights of Way and MOD roads, they can put themselves and others at risk and can also damage the fragile environment.”

“We encourage people to be safe on the plain, and respect the rights of other users. Any criminal activity in progress or suspicious activity can be reported to Wiltshire Police on 999 or 101”"

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]