TRF Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:46 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: BBC series on National Parks...
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:30 pm 
50 cc

Might be old hat, but the BBC have been running a series on the National Parks and some of the issues arising. Last night's programme was all about the Green Lanes Alliance, based in the Peak district. It followed the process that eventually led to the closure of one or two BOATS, and provided an insight into how these decisions are made, the meetings, both public and private, and the machinations of the Peaks' authority.

The BBC didn't do a particularly great job in my opinion. They failed to provide a balanced account. Parties on both 'sides' were often depicted as nimbys or inconsiderate hooligans. It portrayed the conflict between vehicle users and walkers/horse riders etc. as intractable; an 'either or'...it didn't explore other solutions to minimize conflict, reduce impact or ways to improve relations between user groups.

Essentially, I was left with the impression that these poor old ramblers are regularly terrorized by thoughtless louts on two or four wheels, and the authorities seem to be either reluctant, or powerless, to stop them. Less bias, more balance would be nice...

Post subject: Re: BBC series on National Parks...
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:59 pm 
50 cc

Yeah, it was an old program.
I'd seen it on Youtube a while back, boils my piss if I'm honest.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:05 pm 
200 cc

Having watched this before; the bias shown by the BBC is unbelievable.

If you've not seen it, there's a section where some trailriders are riding calmly down Cherpit Lane where they are accosted by a group of nimbys whose purpose is to cause a scene for the cameras and is nothing other than victimising a few trailriders riding the lane doing no harm whatsoever! What makes it worse is the reporter is heard to goad the nimby's into action to cause a commotion and to ultimately feign an attack and then phone the Police, it has to be seen to believed! The true test for this display of supported prejudice in action would be to substitute any other user group for those trailriders and then try to justify the actions that were filmed ...it simply cannot without implication.

The Trailriders behaviour was impeccable and especially so under the circumstances.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:50 pm 
650 cc Monster

One discussion on this topic has already been closed...so perhaps best not to continue with this one.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:40 pm 
300 cc

Richard Simpson wrote:
One discussion on this topic has already been closed...so perhaps best not to continue with this one.

Interesting to note the animosity that this biased piece of reporting has caused several years after its first airing, there is clearly a case to answer amongst our membership and as far as I can see this is the only place where the entire membership can vent their frustrations; sadly however, opinions are best shared over a pint in the pub and not on here as we all know they will be used by the very same people who would love to see us all banned and our practices die out (many of whom featured in the old BBC programme......)
That sort of thinking was very popular for a while in another European Country in the last century but I won't mention it by name on here...The word 'disadvantaged' seems to be all the rage these days.
So, see you in the pub...where my first question will be, 'Who is really winning??, :|
Need to go and be cheery at Gamefair and Countrywise and ride the open bits of the TET (whilst they still are) next summer then....
Sorry Admin, couldn't resist the last shot on this topic but is it really worth losing any sleep over?.... I think not; it does raise the question of the very relevance of this and any other 'open' web forum but how else do you propose to know what your members are thinking?
Close away.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:22 pm 
80 cc

Richard may well be right and this thread could well be closed !

Anyone following our access in the peaks over the last 10,20,30,40 years will know that it's been more than an uphill struggle .

Up to a couple of years ago people at least tried to fight the closures but now who knows ?? (Secret society)

No one at a national level seems interested ( not that can be seen on the forum at any rate)

Me ? I'm off to the post office to get a permit to fish in the canal !

Bolloxxxx They closed the post office !!!!!!

But interestingly the canal is still there !

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:34 am 
300 cc

bygradly wrote:
Richard may well be right and this thread could well be closed !

Anyone following our access in the peaks over the last 10,20,30,40 years will know that it's been more than an uphill struggle .

Up to a couple of years ago people at least tried to fight the closures but now who knows ?? (Secret society)

Me ? I'm off to the post office to get a permit to fish in the canal !

Bolloxxxx They closed the post office !!!!!!

!

:D
When the opposition is powerful and outnumbers us we only have secrecy and flexibility of response on our side. Problem is, the response mechanism is not flexible, it is statute so that only leaves secrecy....see my above point about the efficacy of 'open' forums.
I'm sure there must be something about this in Sun Tzu and must get round to reading it one of these days.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:50 am 
650 cc Monster

May I put some balance back in this thread;

It has been pointed out already that this is an old programme - from 2011 when the influence of the TRF may be seen to have been at a lower point than we are currently, and we would seem to have moved on considerably from this point in time in many ways and especially with our relationship with the media and authorities.

TRF subsequently on Countryfile - entirely positive
TRF invited to contribute to Crimewatch by the BBC to show how we were part of the solution
TRF in training with the Police in the Peak District - S Yorks & Derbs police - again part of the solution
TRF at Countryfile live & Gamefair - again part of the solution - not the problem.

I don't see any evidence that the "entire membership" would agreed with a partisan, segmented, "them and us" approaches to access in the countryside that may be deemed to be promulgated in this thread. In particular, Them & Us inevitably leads to accusations of bias from either side, and it is difficult to see how bias can occur if it is just "Us".

I do see TRF members and Trail Riders around the countryside taking a more holistic approach to access, focussing less on "our rights" and more on "share the trail" and consideration for all users of the countryside. These are the members who volunteered to come along to Countryfile Live and the Gamefair and do what they do on the trail, engage with all users and charm them into acceptance. One memorable example on a run this year was with TRF member & NFU employee Hywel of mid Wales who engaged members of his run with sheep herding to help a farmer near Rhyader. With each example of positive encounters of Trail Riders in the countryside with dilute the harm of the few negative encounters.

The Peak District has been under pressure for some time. I do also see TRF Directors engaging directly and in person with the Peak District Authorities, dispelling inaccurate perceptions and informing them about positive solutions to problems that are being put to good effect by the TRF across the country. Click on the webcast here https://democracy.peakdistrict.gov.uk/ieListDocuments.aspx?CId=133&MId=1571&Ver=4.

I see these partisan approaches at its most evident in this Peak area. Strong local TRF groups, smaller in numbers, high in moral fibre - doing the right thing and adhering to TRF values - deserve our full support. In the Peaks I believe there exists a high proportion of Trail Riders , outside of the TRF's sphere of influence of responsible riding. As a result, when I am at a meeting championing our cause, I am not without sympathy for afflicted residents and the PDNPA and am resolved to progress our campaign of changing all Trail Riders behaviours further- not just TRF members.

Meanwhile to those members who may be more generally unaware of what is happening at the "top" may I suggest taking this up with your local group officers who receive a Group Chairs newsletter each month. Questions to Directors to directors@ receive a prompt response and are the best way of sharing your view.

In addition current paid up members receive an impressive regular Road Conservation report from John Vannuffel, Technical Director, by email approx. quarterly. The next one will be included in Trail magazine which will be out this autumn. Members who will have read this are aware the TRF appear now to be more active by many times in dealing with active cases than at any time in our past and are more successful with the outcomes.

Finally a reminder that the TRF is run by volunteers who are rewarded intrinsically and not by money. Whatever your view is of how the TRF is run, even after a divisive campaign and the open proposition of alternatives, those volunteers that run the TRF on behalf of the members would seem to be supported by over 90% of the membership at the last AGM earlier this year. It may be held that over 90% of members believe this is due to progress in recent years and not failure, and central to this is firm direction on attitude and changing behaviours on the trail, and moderate behaviour on our comments the forum. In this way we will also positively and more accurately influence public perception. Let me know if you would like me to point out a few examples and I am immediately thinking of John Harvey's & Greg V's excellent work with Ross Noble & Austin Vince.

Those directly involved in dealing with the authorities and with the media don't feel it is helpful or in the TRF's interest to discuss or vent views that may be counterproductive or disparaging to other users on an open forum and hence will be locking this thread and involving Dave Carling - the Director responsible for Forum Moderation - in removing any posts which may be seen as unhelpful to our current position.

If you have a "beef", the first place to address it is your Group meeting and your Group chair- not the National forum. The chances are that your local group officer will have the information, sent by the Directors. If not, I am more than happy to discuss in meetings, face to face, by phone or by email and especially to involve any members who wish to get further engaged in our campaigning activity or reinforcing positive perceptions of the behaviour of the TRF and Trail Riders.

Meanwhile for those for those wo still believe in opposition & the enemy, "The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting" and those who cannot see the value of discretion, Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.

I believe this is closer to the way forward for the TRF.

Regards

Mario
TRF Director responsible for many things including PR & External Communications
mario@trf.org.uk

Access-2X green roads
Improve-Riding skill
Identify- Responsible
Defence-against prosecution
Sustainability-Protect green roads & rights
Insurance

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]