TRF Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:42 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Just rejoined.
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:24 am 
50 cc

Hi all,
I've just rejoined the TRF after an absence of some 10 ten years or so. Last time I joined, it was because I'd always wanted to have a go at legitimate trail riding, but I took no advice and bought a KTM 640 for the job. My first trail 'ride' on that machine showed that if anyone deserved the username 'muppet', it was me! It was WAY too heavy for me to control and I seem to recall it took 3 fellow riders a good ten minutes to pull me and the bike out of a bush!
I really should have known better, and I apologise (belatedly) to those riders who so kindly removed me from the track-side foliage as I probably ruined their ride!

I'm not exactly young, being a feeler gauge short of 60, but have been riding bikes without a pause since I was a spotty 17 year old 'erk in the RAF. Runways were a great place to learn to ride, but not if something was trying to land on them at the same time!
I've been through a few bikes over the years, but my absolute undying favourite was my Suzuki TS185 which took me everywhere and enveloped me (and others) in clouds of smoke of various colours. I rode that 'simple to maintain' little demon from London to Switzerland and on to just west of Berlin before smokin' back to blighty again. I really miss that old puffer! So why I thought a 640 would be great for trail riding is beyond me.

Anyway, I've decided to have another go and have shortlisted my choices to either a Yam WR250F, or a KTM 350EXC-F. I believe they both have the same wet weight of around 117 kilos, so I'll probably go for the KTM. I'm sticking to 4 strokes at the moment because I imagine that engine braking could be an advantage off-road, but I'm open to suggestions from those more experienced than me.

I've also been involved with horses for the last 25 years and know how they behave, so I have a great deal of consideration for both the beasts and their riders who have every right to safely enjoy the same routes that bikers use. I'm not an armchair biker either, and am happy to get out there and clear routes, contribute to the fighting fund and generally get involved.
I believe that you only deserve to get something out of your chosen sport/hobby, if you're prepared to put something in....and I'm in. I'm looking forward to becoming totally TRF.
Ride safe!

Post subject: Re: Just rejoined.
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:04 am 
650 cc Monster

Welcome back from sunny East Sussex - whereabouts are you based (don't give too much detail)?

The 350 gets great reports as an ideal all rounder.
The amount of road work you do may also be relevant and I'm not sure if the Yam still only has a 5 speed box. It was awful on my old 450.

From my experience KTM parts are cheaper and easier to get.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:20 am 
50 cc

Hi David
Ah yes, sorry about the lack of detail. I'm based in Herts, near Hemel Hempstead. We've also got a KTM dealership here, so that's kinda helping to swing things in that direction.
Cheers, David.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:26 am 
125cc

Hi David, from another East Seuuex TRF-er..........all be it a Quad one... :D

All the best,

Andy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:35 pm 
400 cc

davidscott wrote:
Welcome back from sunny East Sussex - whereabouts are you based (don't give too much detail)?

The 350 gets great reports as an ideal all rounder.
The amount of road work you do may also be relevant and I'm not sure if the Yam still only has a 5 speed box. It was awful on my old 450.

From my experience KTM parts are cheaper and easier to get.

New WR250F 2016/17 is a 6 speeder

Post subject: Just rejoined.
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:37 pm 
400 cc

Have a look at the Beta 390RR-S supposed to be a corker of a trail/enduro bike and new price is £1500 cheaper than a similar 350 EXC-F

Beta may be my next bike

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:06 pm 
50 cc

Never thought of a Beta. Need to research that. Heavier than the KTM?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:47 am 
400 cc

RustyNuts wrote:
Never thought of a Beta. Need to research that. Heavier than the KTM?

Similar, maybe lighter
Reading FB & forum groups in uk and other countries they seem to be very well regarded - even by ex KTM owners and engine is proving long lived with correct maintenance

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:12 am 
400 cc

Beta maybe heavier. All new 4 T Ktms do not have a kick start.

Definitely cheaper and lower than a Ktm. Beta do a 350-390 and I think a 430

I am a Beta 2t owner. Superb bikes.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:17 am 
650 cc Monster

Hi David.

As you are presumably a Herts member we will offer you a trial on a few machines.

I can see one or two very popular bikes not mentioned that you should try before you commit.

If you call me on 07721480000 we can discuss and make some arrangements for you to try them out near to Hemel

Mario
Chairman@hertstrf.org.uk

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Access-2X green roads
Improve-Riding skill
Identify- Responsible
Defence-against prosecution
Sustainability-Protect green roads & rights
Insurance

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next