TRF Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:46 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Visor or goggles?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:58 pm 
300 cc

Been using quality safety glasses for years both on the trail and rallys.
I would dispute that goggles restrict your vision but when it's wet they are a pain when they get steamed up.

As for visors on off road lids on the trail. Nah. Save them for road lids.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:10 pm 
650 cc Monster

Here's my thoughts.

My situation is complicated by my use of spectacles for driving/riding.

I've got 2 helmets: a cheap MX type one and a horribly-expensive 'adventure' helmet.

If I'm doing a ride that is mostly country lanes and trails without highspeed work, then I use the MX helmet with large goggles over my specs. Peripheral vision is compromised a bit with the goggles, so you have to make allowances when doing rear observations on the road and really turn your head rather than just taking a quick glance.

If I'm doing a long road ride with a bit of trail-riding thrown in then I use the Adventure helmet with both peak and visor installed. On the 'trail' bits, I pop the visor open a bit and rely on the half-open visor and my glasses to protect my eyes.

One big disadvantage of the visor is that it is £50 to replace if damaged. You can get more than one new set of goggles for that, and replacement google lenses are very cheap by comparison.

Because I wear glasses, I spend a hell of a lot of time carefully cleaning and applying demister products to glasses, visor and goggle lenses.

If you wear goggles, be very careful not to let the insides get wet, and don't pull them down and put them over your chinbar: your breath will mist them instantly. If they do mist up when riding, tilt your head back and ride forward: the rush of air should clear the mist.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:48 pm 
300 cc

There are some prescription insert lenses you can use if you wear glasses. http://www.rxsport.co.uk/categories/Pre ... e-Inserts/

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:40 pm 
650 cc Monster

smokinrider wrote:
Been using quality safety glasses for years both on the trail and rallys.
I would dispute that goggles restrict your vision but when it's wet they are a pain when they get steamed up.

As for visors on off road lids on the trail. Nah. Save them for road lids.

It's the peripheral vision that is compromised, even worse when your neck isn't as mobile as it once was.
It is alsomuch more comfortable with a visor on the road.

Unless you mean leaving the visor down on a lane, which is awful, I don't follow your last comment.

The only advantage I can see with goggles is eye protection and wind reduction but on every other count, I reckon they fall short of a visor and safety glasses.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:51 pm 
300 cc

I guess it depends on the goggles but I see your point if you've restricted movement. And Yea I meant visor down on the lanes. Or trail lids with visors full stop. Just not my cup of tea. A mate whose a skinflint still uses a road lid and his head gets so hot he keeps steaming up his visor and with it up he then has no eye protection. An the visor catches on brambles and branches.

I don't really do long road stints but if I was then I can see the merits of the visor on a trail lid. My forehead gets cold this time of year with goggles or glasses.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:04 pm 
125cc

Richard Simpson wrote:
Here's my thoughts.

My situation is complicated by my use of spectacles for driving/riding.

I've got 2 helmets: a cheap MX type one and a horribly-expensive 'adventure' helmet.

If I'm doing a ride that is mostly country lanes and trails without highspeed work, then I use the MX helmet with large goggles over my specs. Peripheral vision is compromised a bit with the goggles, so you have to make allowances when doing rear observations on the road and really turn your head rather than just taking a quick glance.

If I'm doing a long road ride with a bit of trail-riding thrown in then I use the Adventure helmet with both peak and visor installed. On the 'trail' bits, I pop the visor open a bit and rely on the half-open visor and my glasses to protect my eyes.

One big disadvantage of the visor is that it is £50 to replace if damaged. You can get more than one new set of goggles for that, and replacement google lenses are very cheap by comparison.

Because I wear glasses, I spend a hell of a lot of time carefully cleaning and applying demister products to glasses, visor and goggle lenses.

If you wear goggles, be very careful not to let the insides get wet, and don't pull them down and put them over your chinbar: your breath will mist them instantly. If they do mist up when riding, tilt your head back and ride forward: the rush of air should clear the mist.

I understand the additional issues from wearing glasses, started out with goggles but the misting problems forced me to go for a visor, just keeping the visor open a crack, actually the width of my thumb stops steaming in all but the worst of conditions...what secret anti fogging agent are you using ??

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:00 pm 
650 cc Monster

The secret is to get the lenses really clean with hot water and washing-up liquid, then install without touching the inner or outer faces.

Once I've done this, I use a product called Shift-It. Or just carefully wipe a small amount of washing-up liquid onto the inside of the lens. All you are doing is breaking up the surface tension so the mist runs into bigger droplets then rolls down the lens.

Any grease or oil on the lens stops this happening.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:15 pm 
650 cc Monster

I use twin lense goggles and never have a problem with them misting up. It is very important to keep the inside of the goggles dry and if you feel it necessary put some anti-fog spray on the inside. I do not like quick straps as it is better never to remove the goggles except when you remove your helmet.

Smith, Oaklye and Scott sell double glazed goggles for about £44 and replacement lenses are £14.

Whilst there is a slight reduction in peripheral vision it is something that I quickly got used to.

You can also buy helmets with a double glazed visor - but at a price.

Another consideration is to try very hard to keep your body temperature even. If you are sweating too much then your visor/goggles will soon mist up. I have it on good authority that good riders use less energy and therefore do NOT sweat excessively and never have a problem with their goggles misting up.
Similiar with arm pump - some riders never experience it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:39 pm 
80 cc

I couldn't imagine off road riding with a visor given all the heat that gets generated.

Goggles every time with roll offs and carry a spare set. I use tinted goggles with no roll offs generally on the road if I'm not on my road bike.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:09 pm 
650 cc Monster

You don't leave the visor down for the trails, just for the road. Flipped up, you don't know it's there.
The safety glasses are lighter and less intrusive than goggles which, in my brief experience get really uncomfortable when it's hot.

But we all have our oreferences and no one is better than the other but judt suits that person more.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next