TRF Forums

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:07 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: How do you get authorisation to check out a member profile?
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 3:43 pm 
50 cc

I followed a forum thread and tried to check out a member's profile. It tells me I am not authorised to view this. Can someone please explain?

Post subject: Re: How do you get authorisation to check out a member profile?
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 6:30 pm 
Site Admin

GordonM,

Simple answer is that we do not have that facility turned on at present. Do you think we should and what do others think..

There are many features that the system offers, but we felt we were best to wait and see what funcyions were requested and we could look at them as and when.

Let me know what you all think

Simon

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 10:25 pm 
125cc

One feature EM TRF would like turned back on is the ability to check if someone signing up for our website has a valid TRF membership. We used to be able to do that on the old site but lost the facility when this one went live.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 11:28 pm 
50 cc

Hi Simon,

If the facility is there why not use it. In my case I came acrosss a member with the same bike as me and, being new, was interested to contact him to discuss aspects of the bike one to one. I am sure however that members would find equally useful reasons to d the same.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 2:53 pm 
80 cc

Yes that would be handy i agree.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 6:26 am 
80 cc

You would need to ensure folk are happy with their details being available (that dammed data protection act)

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 3:45 pm 
80 cc

My understanding is that details listed in a profile are only those that the user wishes to be made public and therefore shouldnt have anything detailed as address, telephone number, blood group or NI no. etc.

It would also be good to see clearly which area group a member belongs and that they are indeed a Member as there is always a risk of 'The wrong sort' lurking about the forums for ill gains.

I would welcome the facility to view other members profiles as for rough location, experience levels and equipment used.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 7:36 am 
80 cc

Yes please, turn back on the ability to check if a user is a member. I use this in a club web site I maintain. It no longer works, I find it very annoying that a facility is provided and then removed without any notice causing mine and other web sites to no longer work.

If there is a good reason to turn it off then fine, but please give us advanced warning of the event.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 10:23 pm 
Site Admin

Ted,

I think there is a misunderstanding of two concepts here.

There is a question on member profiles, which the forum can allow and I will look at turning these on this week coming.

The issue that you refer to, was a facilty to check current membership status. Thsi was provided on the olf forum by Bill as a basic copy of the list that the membership secretary supplied to Bill every couple of weeks and which he made available to authorised members.
We were not able to continue this function as we use a very different method of looking up membership status.

We are howver, curently looking at a method of enabling a selected group officer to look up information from the database, but for security reasons we need to develop and test this before we allow anyone to access the information.

If you require a member to be checked, please contact myself or Debbie with a question and we will provide the conformation that you require.

I am sorry for any problems that this may have caused, but regretably, we were not aware of the process that was in place with Bill, before the site was changed over to the new one.

SB
it@trf.org.uk

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]