TRF Forums

It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:45 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Rydale Rally
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 9:56 am 
50 cc

New TRF member and 1st post on this forum.

Is anyone interested in teaming up to do the Rydake rally 04/05 July. Preferrably looking for members local to the east mid but not essential. This is just for a bit of fun and to get the opportunity to ride some great countryside. Contact Mark 07949 085921

Post subject: Re: Rydale Rally
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 8:36 pm 
200 cc

Am contemplating doing this rally...am trying to get some others from the Kent group to join me. Gives me another opportunity to thrash my KTM as it's wasted driving slowly on our highways & byways.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 8:43 pm 
125cc

Me and two other East Midlands TRF members are putting a team in.

It will be the first rally for two of us and the second for the other so could be entertaining!

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 8:53 pm 
200 cc

From the website for the rally it looks like quite a bit of forest track ideal more for the BIG trailies like BMW GS's, KTM Super Enduro R's etc. Having ridden in the Hafren & the Cambrian rallies, doing three 45 mile laps with several special stages is ideal for the KTM.

Luckily for me I now ride in the over-50 class.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 12:31 pm 
125cc

Ryedale is a great event on big bikes or small, the going is fire roads with a few linking sections thrown in, on a 'proper' trail/enduro bike it willbe pretty easy even for a novice, on a 'big' bike it will be a little more interesting especially if the weather this year is the same as the last two.

The banter is great too, just look out for a very noisy corner and you will probably find the majority are from West Yorks TRF - bring a bottle and a chair and join in the fun.

Rich

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 11:08 pm 
80 cc

I'm doing this event along with John and another fellow EMs TRF Member.

I did this one last year and was my first rally. It was a nice easy run on the saturday although for me vision was a problem as I opted for googles over Glasses in the rain-big mistake. After about 5 miles into the first lap I was down to my glasses and by the half way point was riding without anything and Im as blind as a bat :mrgreen:
Some nice flowing riding on the saturday but sunday I found quite tricky through the trees and bailed out after the first lap after repeatedly dropping and picking up my bike. It could have been down to lack of sleep ( car not that comfy for 2 nights ) and being completely drained of all resources-lesson learnt. This time a nice B+B is the order, helmet with visor and lots of clean cloths.

so heres to good weather and good safe riding.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 10:02 pm 
200 cc

Well it looks like I will not be fit enough by the time the Ryedale comes about...I broke two ribs in my back on Sunday while out greenlaning...a tree jumped out in front of me!!!
So i've SORNed the XR & the R1 and sent off the road tax for a refund until I feel fit enough again. As it happened the KTM was off the road having a major overhaul...something I could now do with.

It was interesting to read about problems with goggles & spectacles. When I did my first enduro I knew that I needed a decent set of goggles to fit over my specs...so I was lucky enough to speak to a friend who worked at my local bike shop. Gary Taylor (son of Dave the wheelie king) worked at this shop & he had recommended Scott Enduro OTG goggles. Since buying a set of these I now have two pairs & always have to hand a spare double glazed lens. Together with an anti-mist coating on my glasses as well as the inside of the lens, I have not had a problem with misting. There is also a spray that you can get from places like Halfords that causes rain/water/gloop etc to run off the outside face. This also works a treat on the visor of my road bike lid.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 2:10 am 
80 cc

I bought some anti mist soap which works well but it was a drizzle that was sticking to my glasses and goggles along with a lovely orangy mud more than fogging up. it was better on the sunday as i swapped lids to a peaked with visor.

I now also carry some of those microfibe cloths for cleaning which seem to work well without scratching my lenses/visor to much.

anyway its all a learning curve.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 9:12 pm 
200 cc

The last description of the type of terrain that we ride across reminds me of the red mud of the land North of Sennybridge during the Cambrian Rally a few years ago.....it got everywhere. I changed the handlebars on my XR recently & I found the last vestiges of this stuff after having cleaned the bike countless times since those days at FIBUA on the Cambrian. My wife was not at all amused at the number of times I put my gear through the washing machine to get the last of this red muck out.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]