TRF Forums

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:07 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: New from west yorkshire
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:41 pm 
50 cc

hello, been looking into Trail riding for a couple of months now. still need to get a suitable bike (been reading post started by 'Peterbiker' about 250cc or larger with interest)
Joined the TRF online last night night, just waiting to get my number through. Does anyone know if the West Yorkshire TRF still have their meetings on the 1st Thursday of every month ?? i emailed them a while ago and didn't get a reply. hope someone can help please.

Post subject: Re: New from west yorkshire
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:59 pm 

Hi there and welcome from Sussex.

I trust someone will answer your meeting question, maybe a phone call will be best, never sure what emails go to junk mail these days.

WR400F..Gone for a song.
CRF250L now on the lanes.
Novice off roader for years

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:22 pm 
125cc

Hi Neil
Welcome to the fold.
We still meet 1st thursday of every month at Cue Gardens (odsal) @ 7.30.
Hope to see you there.
Haich

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:35 pm 
50 cc

Good stuff, thanks for that.

I will certainly come along, be great to meet everyone and see what you guys get up to.
Got loads of questions and need advice on bike etc. 250,350 or 450. ??????? Can't make my mind up !!!! Everyone has a different opinion. Difficult to know what to get. Fancy an orange thing in a 4 stroke but don't know what size.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:35 am 
125cc

Hi Neil,
Bike choice all depends what you want the bike for, how experienced a rider you are and how big/strong you are?
1) is the bike solely for trail riding, or are you going to enter the odd enduro/ rally or attend practice days. Do you wish to use it for commuting to and from work, or to and from trail meet up points (if you haven't for a can/trailer?
2) are you of reasonable size and stature, or a shorty or not very strong?
3) can you undertake maintenance on your own bike, check valves, change oil, filters etc?
4) have you much bike riding experience or any off road riding experience.
If you want to trail and crack around at enduros without doing much road work, I'd look at a two stroke, if your light and small a 125-250 2smoke,would be a good bike, or if your slightly bigger a 300+ 2smoke might be better. If you don't want to do as much maintenance a 4 stroke 250+ is a good start but the bigger and heavier you are aim more 400+
If you want to do some commuting, road work etc 400+ 4 banger, or for lots of road work look at 600+.
If you don't want to do lots of service steer away from enduro bikes CRF-X and EXC etc... And look at WR's, TTR's XR's or ktm 690 enduro is good bike.
It's all horses for courses and everyone has a different opinion.
For example I've ridden 450 enduro's both Honda and ktm, both very good bike (ktm is a better bike to ride, but Honda requires a little less TLC) but eventually found my feet on a KTM 690 Enduro R, which ticked all the boxes for me, especially as I enjoy a good rally. However so I can take my good lady away for weekends and rides to the coast I also bought a KTM 950 adventure, originally no intention of riding it off road, but I've been out a good few times green making on it and its bloody fantastic off road (haven't had to pick it up yet though), so I've decided to sell my 690 and get a 2stroke 300cc for the odd enduro and pay and play day, plus a couple more technical trail rides out.
However I am 6' tall and weigh 16+ stone and am quite able to pick most bikes up and myself, but my situation, riding style and many other things aren't the same as yours or anyone else's. unfortunately in your first few years you'll proberbly by and sell quite a few bikes until you find one you really gel with.
Hope this helps.
Hugs Coops
Oh just worth bearing in mind, what happens in the woods stays in the woods and bears can't hear you scream (or squeal) as the case so often is (especially if you go out with the WYTRF chairman):)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:55 pm 
125cc

COOPS! 16 stone!!!! you need some new scales my rotund friend......

All the advice that Coops gives is sound. You will get every opinion going as far as what bike to have and there are pros and cons to everything. The WYTRF have a multitude of different size bikes and riders!

Personally I ride a CRM250 2 stoke and I am a fat knacker. It has no problems dragging my 16 stone (well if Coops is I am!) up hill and down dale.

Hope to see you at Cue gadens or out on the trails.

Al

p.s. Coops is indeed correct about the chairman and woodland activities, he has however forgotten to include himself as a main protagonist. You will often hear him shouting "Scream like a piggy boy" to the background sound track of duelling banjos.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:58 pm 
50 cc

Hi Coops,
I was hoping someone would give me a bit more detail to be honest. LOL thanks for taking the time to do this.
its really helpful to ask your self these questions. thank you.
So,
1) no, i want to do the odd practice day as well regular trail riding and i'm booked on a two day 'dirt bike orienteering jolly in the Pyrenees' in September. I need to use it for that. i do have the use of a van but would ride to anywhere local. (I'm near Halifax)
2) 6', 14 stone (that's what i tell myself)
3) basics, Oil and filters no problem but beyond that no.
4) Yam fizz when i was a kid, re passed my test 8 years ago when i had a mid life crisis. ZX6 and then an R1. gave that up before i lost my license or life 6 years ago. Bought myself a BMW GSA in Jan this year and did a two day Simon Pavey course on one. Same as you with your KTM with some decent tyres on its unbelievable what they will do. And yes i did drop it several times and they teach you how to pick it up which is a laugh !! not done anything off road on mine, just a 5 day Scotland trip in May which was good. it was the Pavey course that made me start thinking about this. Bloody loved it.
So there you go, something that does all the above.

Fancing a KTM to be honest, big plus on this if i need to change it at some stage the 'old dear' wont be able to tell the difference.

Thank again Coops,

Neil.

PS. thanks for the warning about the woods Al, i'll make sure i remain seated on my bike at all times Don't want any saddle sores for the wrong reason !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]