TRF Forums

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:38 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

Adverts must be trail or motorcycle orientated. Businesses may advertise but are required to make a donation to the fighting fund please.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: WANTED
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:10 pm 
650 cc Monster

The Honda is an excellent all-rounder, and there are loads about.

This thread is very informative ttps://adventurebikerider.com/forum/vie ... 23&t=40468

If you want a dedicated Japanese trail, as opposed to enduro, bike though you would do well to consider the Kawasaki KLX250. It's got better suspension for trail use than the Honda.

Disadvantages are the small fuel tank (compensated for by its very economical engine) and the fact that it has been unfairly criticised for being underpowered. However, if you disconnect the 'misery switch' under the clutch lever, full power is restored.

Sadly, in recent years, Kawasaki never really got behind their trail/enduro range. Those of us who can remember the 1980s and 1990s will remember enduro parc fermes as being a sea of green...full of KDX175/200/200 two strokes, plus an early, competition-orientated version of the KLX250/300...for some reason Kawasaki walked away from all this.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:15 pm 
300 cc

I was tempted by the price and the fact they're a "trail bike" with decent service intervals and good road manners.

Then I read that you need a fi mod and exhaust mod to liven them up, weighed up the fact they're made under licence in Thailand and not a proper Japanese Honda and thought I'd get bored of it in no time at all and left wanting more. That with the not so great suspension all made them a no go for me.

Then I bought a 300 2 stroke for nearly twice the price and am glad I did. 30+kg lighter and probably twice power and the grin factor bolted onto decent suspension.

I'd still consider a crf250l if I wanted to plod around touring Europe or the world taking in dirt roads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:16 pm 
50 cc

I have bought a CRF250L to play with solely on the green lanes and haven't been disappointed. Its Honda reliability and yes you can get better, but it goes over everything that the other guys go over and i haven't been left behind yet !

Martin at Torque has a similar used one for sale at around £3k and its very clean, etc

Just saying .....

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:29 pm 

What about an XR250...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:45 pm 
50 cc

Richard Simpson wrote:

Can you please check the link, would like to read it, but it doesn't work.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:45 pm 
50 cc

smokinrider wrote:
I was tempted by the price and the fact they're a "trail bike" with decent service intervals and good road manners.

Then I read that you need a fi mod and exhaust mod to liven them up, weighed up the fact they're made under licence in Thailand and not a proper Japanese Honda and thought I'd get bored of it in no time at all and left wanting more. That with the not so great suspension all made them a no go for me.

Then I bought a 300 2 stroke for nearly twice the price and am glad I did. 30+kg lighter and probably twice power and the grin factor bolted onto decent suspension.

I'd still consider a crf250l if I wanted to plod around touring Europe or the world taking in dirt roads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wish I could afford one myself

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:46 pm 
50 cc

waynegold wrote:
I have bought a CRF250L to play with solely on the green lanes and haven't been disappointed. Its Honda reliability and yes you can get better, but it goes over everything that the other guys go over and i haven't been left behind yet !

Martin at Torque has a similar used one for sale at around £3k and its very clean, etc

Just saying .....

I checked out the bike online, looks good for sure, but it's £3300 :(

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:53 pm 
650 cc Monster

bcsabiz wrote:
Richard Simpson wrote:

Can you please check the link, would like to read it, but it doesn't work.

https://adventurebikerider.com/forum/vi ... 23&t=40468

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:44 pm 
125cc

Yam TTR600 ;)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:36 pm 
50 cc

AlwynMike wrote:
bcsabiz wrote:
What do you guys think about a crf250L. I read in many places that it's a very road orientated bike.
Better with decent tyres.

Ah but which tyres !

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next