TRF Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:26 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

Adverts must be trail or motorcycle orientated. Businesses may advertise but are required to make a donation to the fighting fund please.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Wanted 250, advice welcome!
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:39 pm 
80 cc

Nige P wrote:
RJC001 wrote:

Yes there are more exotic and powerful 250's available, but they are also twice the price and upkeep.

I found them quite expensive, at least the one I've seen. What about this one ? http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... gcode=visc

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:21 pm 
400 cc

Nige P wrote:
RJC001 wrote:
Anyone have any thoughts on KLX 250?

I luv mine! Got it new on a good 0% deal which basically means its free based on the fuel I save riding it to work. They are not as popular as the CRF in the UK which I think is a lot to do with marketing, very popular in the US and they still have the inferior carb version.

Out of the box if feels lacking in power as there is a soft restrictor in 5&6 that makes it struggle to 60mph, but simply unplug the clutch switch and you're flying to 75mph! A simple tweak on the cam timings to bring them to 'normal' settings and you get more grunt and it can get my fat 95kg+ to 80mph. It also has a good suspension setup which only requires new springs fitting if you are on the lardy side like me.

Oh, and they have 6k service intervals which is basically oil & filter.

Yes there are more exotic and powerful 250's available, but they are also twice the price and upkeep.

Is it 6 speed?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:13 pm 
200 cc

Hi , the KLX you were looking at is a spot on green lane bike nice smooth power delivery ,it certainly wont get you into any bother and will get you out of plenty ,mine was spot on ,very underated i think . BUT mine was kick start only ,ok if you are on steady lanes with a good footing ,nice and easy to start but you get into deep rutted lanes or stall it on a rocky climb and it becomes a whole new ball game . thats my thaughts . cheers Julian E Yorks :ugeek:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:15 pm 
80 cc

I've had my 2009 crf250x for 4 years it's road legal passes mot every time has lights no indicators and a plate.its taken loads of stick ,I've fallen off it hundreds of times and it starts right back up and keeps going!not brill at steep tricky climbs like in Isle of Man,they stall at low revs, but it got everywhere despite me on it!!.if it breaks there plenty of spares around.
Great first bike!!!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:30 pm 
50 cc

Have had a WR 250 which was great - went well, great suspension and good build quality
Then had 2 Honda CRF 250x - would again say good build quality but not quite as eager nor is suspension quite as plush, but more rideable especially on really tricky going

Would highly recommend either, but have a slight bias towards the WR that is probably more of a 'grass is always greener on the other side' thing than anything else ;)

One thing to check on CRF's is the rear spoke nipples
They seem to need checking and tweaking up regularly to stop them coming loose and wearing the spoke holes oval

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:02 pm 
300 cc

Nothing like tweaking up the nipples :D

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2