TRF Forums

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:17 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

Adverts must be trail or motorcycle orientated. Businesses may advertise but are required to make a donation to the fighting fund please.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Required for Serow 4JG model - Ignition CDI Unit.
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:52 pm 
650 cc Monster

Greetings,

I am looking for a replacement cdi ignition unit, either to borrow for testing :roll: or to buy.

My bike started with an intermittent loss of power, not really misfiring, after running constantly at about 50 mph then going up a hill, change down a gear and although not happy it would keep going, close the throttle for a little while and then the problem would seam to clear. Eventually this condition has got worse and despite all bench testing I have not found the cause. The bike starts and idles just fine, pulls away and runs at low speeds fine, but eventually up the rev range it starts to stutter and then loose power. The fuel system has been totally stripped and cleaned with nothing found, inlet manifold replaced as the original was age cracking, so I must conclude that the fault is electrical.

I suspect that the fault is most likely with the CDI unit, (it could even be the coil), unless you might have experienced the same problem and know of a different answer.

TTFN

Hugh.

Post subject: Re: Required for Serow 4JG model - Ignition CDI Unit.
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:14 pm 
650 cc Monster

Hugh,it may be the HT lead breaking down, I had this on a bike once...even though most coils and leads are 'captive' it is possible to grind the body of the coil where the lead enters, and replace the lead with a new one (soldered on)....then fill back up with sealer.Worth a try as its a 'free' fix.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:15 pm 
650 cc Monster

Greetings folks,

Well what a nightmare that has been but finally I have rectified the severe misfire/hesitation.

Repeatedly cleaned the carburettor, tank tap and filter; new inlet manifold stub; tested wiring harness; cleaned and tested switch gear; new high output winding fitted to the generator; substituted cdi; new Yamaha ignition coil fitted after bench testing the old one; new spark plug cap; spark plug changed but still could not pull higher revs nor road speed above 40 mph.

Sit down, think it through, so today I dismantled the silencer to find it partially blocked with disintegrated absorption blanket and mesh; cleaned it all out; fitted new steel scouring pads without any blanket and guess what - noisier :evil: but pulls like a train again - result ;)

Carburation looks a bit rich by residue on the spark plug so still some fine adjustments to be made but I can put up with that. Bring it on :lol: :lol:

TTFN

Hugh.

Last edited by Hugh Cleary on Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:25 pm 
80 cc

All that head scratching, you must be 'exhausted' ...............

I'll get my coat :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:18 am 
650 cc Monster

Doh ! Sometimes loud exhausts with big straight throughs ARE better !Glad to hear your TAIL, now has a happy ENDING....

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:58 pm 
125cc

Hi Hugh ,glad your sorted ,I thought this one had you baffled :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:14 pm 
650 cc Monster

So what you are saying Hugh is your 'silencer is golden'.... Ahem...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:39 pm 
650 cc Monster

Greetings,

The battery suddenly lost charge, recharged, lost charge again :roll: Strange all tested out fine, upon closer inspection however I found that the charger connector socket wiring had fractured just where the leads enter the top and was hidden under the securing cable tie :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

New cable fitted and moved the position of the new cable tie, result :D :D :D

Attachment:
charger.jpg
charger.jpg [ 161.93 KiB | Viewed 8120 times ]

TTFN

Hugh.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]