TRF Forums

It is currently Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:11 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Mitas E12 tyre?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:15 pm 
80 cc

Red wrote:
DS, have you riden in the mud on the MT21s? Just asking as I found them great, till the found mud!!

I will admit they were well worn but I had the mt21 on when we took a shortcut through the marshes. Not great in the mud but good on rock and the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:17 pm 
650 cc Monster

That looks horribly familiar!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:54 am 
80 cc

I'm surprised to hear so many riders happy with the MT21 because they're considered to be pure rubbish back home in Canada - guess it's the difference in terrain...didn't have time to install the E12 I received before heading to overland sometime today so low tread rear tyre it will have to be for this weekend...initial observation: the E12 is surprisingly light (weight-wise) compared to other big bike tyres like my Pirelli rally and the Dunlop d908rr. Didn't Chris cork do a review of the E12 sometime ago?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:20 am 
650 cc Monster

I have heard much the same here, that they are 'old school' and that better stuff is out there.
However, the options seem more road biased, with more tread than gap (maybe until the E12), and forking out over £100 for a tyre that strands me in the first mud I encounter this winter doesn't fill me with enthusiasm.

My naive view is that I can accept the road compromise by having tyres that 'look' more suited to off road use.
I will run my replacement MT21 obviously, now it's arrived, but I won't fit it until my current one is more worn (seems to be about 2/3 left by measurement but probably won't be suitable for winter in a couple of months).

As I said, I don't mind trading a bit of quick wear for off road grip as I treat tyres and chains as consumables, not something to be kept as long as possible.
Anyway, I'm saving a fortune on fuel as the 690 seems to barely sip petrol, even on quickish road runs.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2