TRF Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:15 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: Big bike ride - 17th, 18th and 19th June - Mid Wales
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 12:50 pm 
80 cc

Max Richard and his friend who have BMW F800GSs have booked me to guide and book accommodation for a three day place to place ride on Wed, Thurs and Fri 17th, 18th and 19th June.

Max and a different friend Chris, who borrowed one of the GSs, did two days last week which James is gathering pics to do a report about. We had James on his Sertao, Caroline and Jocke on their F800GSs and Cliff on his XT660 limbering up before the Wessex Wanderer. I led on a CRF2560L, as the TTR600 which I had planned to use is still not on the road after gearbox repairs. Of course, my little bike made life much easier for me, but I was probably the oldest at age 61.

Briefly, last week's route started easy with Claerwen byway, and worked up to Nantymoch area for the afternoon, throwing in a few more tricky rocky lanes as everyone was getting on so well. Tiredness at the end of the day did catch Caz out on a nasty sharp stepped bit, and she came off twice. Cliff bowed out of the second day because of his commitment to the Wessex Wanderer at the weekend, and the weather forecast was for rain all day. Actually it turned out not as bad as that, although we were a bit damp by lunch which we took at the Coed y Brenin Visitor Centre. We did Ffordd Du, Fairbourne Bridge and Rhydymain area. All in all a good couple of days.

The ride in June will start at Rhayader, where accommodation can be booked if required. First day is up to Dolgellau for a night at the Bikers Retreat, £55 including evening meal. Second day is down to Ponterwyd, where you will be booked into the George Borrow Hotel, £32.50 room sharing with meal approx £15. Third day back to Rhayader.

Max is a very competent rider, so the ride will include some challenging green lanes such as Happy Valley and Strata Florida (water level permitting). If you have an adventure bike but are not experienced, I can arrange another leader so that you can miss out the green lanes that are difficult for a big bike. The route would not be too easy for riders of trail bikes like my CRF250L, TTRs, etc, especially for riders who are quite new to trail riding or who prefer gravel and rock to grass, mud and bog.

There is a fee of £95, plus the accommodation costs, so trip will be about £200 altogether. It is assumed that riders will travel light and carry their own overnight bags, but if a luggage transfer service was required, I could arrange this.

Contact Marianne by PM, marianne@trailrides-wales.com or phone 01686 430522 for more info.

Marianne
Pic of Strata Florida from a ride last year:
Attachment:
P6070009a.jpg
P6070009a.jpg [ 182.34 KiB | Viewed 9560 times ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]