TRF Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:06 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Essex/Suffolk trails
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:56 pm 
50 cc

Hi everyone, im new to green laning etc and have just joined the TRF.
Ive got an Aprilia Pegaso 650 ie which is a bit of a handful offroad but seemed adequate on some dry trails near Great Dunmow/ braintree.
Just wanted to ask of any tips regarding the bike, riding techniques, set up and any good routes around the Essex/Suffolk area please?
Cheers, Matt

Post subject: Re: Essex/Suffolk trails
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:52 pm 
80 cc

A fair few of the byways round here have been graded so you should be fine on it

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:27 pm 
125cc

Matt,

IMHO, if you buy an OS map of Essex, virtually all of the byways are open and good to ride. An OS map will tell you where the routes are.

On your bike, some will be easier than others. :shock:

Suffolk has loads of restrictions in place, so you will need to know where they are before setting out to ride a lane and as such an OS map should be taken as an "indication" only.

As for riding techniques, my only advice would be, stand up as often as you can and accept that there is no substitute for time in the saddle.

Set your tyres at about 15psi.

You will find that almost everone has an opinion in relation to trail riding, so I,m sure there will be other replies offering different advice.

Try not to ride alone and keep an eye open for the Hertfordshire TRF rides into Essex and tag along if you want.

Oh yes, and welcome :D

Steve Mann.
Herts TRF Rights of Way Officer.

Top up and motor on.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:59 am 
125cc

At the moment the trails are very dry and easy to ride. Now is a good time to start because when they become wet they will become more difficult to ride.

Nothing to beat getting out there and riding your bike.

I sometimes post up mid week rides over in Herts and East Essex which you are welcome to join us on. I ride a R1150GS and the rides are generally slowish.

PM me your phone number if you would like me to keep you informed about future Adventure Bike rides.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:53 pm 
400 cc

I take it your tyres are suited for some off road use.

Like Tom I often ride into Essex. As Tom said they are dryer in places however Essex lanes seem to stay wetter for longer. The lanes seem quite overgrown at the moment.

Enjoy Just do not go out alone.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]