TRF Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:33 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Ccm gp 450
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:56 pm 
50 cc

Hello all any idea how reliable the new ccm gp450 is .its a brilliant bike to ride and very light weight

Post subject: Re: Ccm gp 450
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:19 pm 
200 cc

Not sure on reliability - as they are new to the market and little long term use data exists.

I rode one of the prototypes and was impressed. Fairly light and very 'rideable'. I liked that they had de-tuned the engine and so increased service intervals and hopefully reliability. The only others I have seen was a factory prepped one at the Pikes Peak rally last year.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:19 pm 
650 cc Monster

There's a couple of threads on this bike running on the ABR forum.

"Minkyhead" probably has done the most miles on one in private hands. He's pleased with his.

The engine is a Kymko 450, made in Taiwan and originally provided to BMW for the ill-fated 450 enduro project.

http://www.kymco.com/news/content.asp?N ... 2F576238BC

The CCM one is detuned to allow longer service intervals, apparently still has BMW logos on it.

Oil capacity is 1 litre.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 4:36 pm 
300 cc

Certainly proved itself in the Husqvarna TE449 and it's competition incarnation the Speedbrain 449, podium finish in the Dakar can't be sniffed at (even if they do often change the engines on the rest day).

The Husky version is the higher power, six speed version with hydraulic clutch but essentially the same motor.

Remember it was designed as a "pukka" enduro motor for the 450X so in the uses the GP450 will be put too I'd reckon it'll do Ok

Also Steve Hague campaigned a GP450 in the UK, All Terrain Rally Challenge last year without any major incidents.

As to the one litre oil capacity, my 450 EXC only holds 1.25 litres but recently did the Tuareg Rallye (7 days in Morocco and up to 8 hours a day) with long periods on full throttle and lots of slogging through sand dunes yet did so without an oil change and with no apparent issues, so small oil capacity doesn't have to be a problem ;)

And I think the BMW logos are only on the pre-production demo bikes :mrgreen:

http://www.nomadracing.co.uk No Byways were harmed in the making of this blog!

2006 KTM 450 Rally
2011 KTM 990 Adventure
2015 Honda CB500X

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 11:03 am 
125cc

Well, after waiting months for a promised test ride day closer to home (Telford) I am going to go up to Bolton and try one with a view to getting one later in the year. No dealer other than "dahn Sarf", so no use to me. Still a trek to Bolton, lovely though I am sure it is, but I'll make a day of it ;-)

Looking forward to seeing if the bike fits me and my wonky old knees, as I do not like too much bend on the knee/hip joints on long road days, so a good seat to pegs distance is wanted. The guy I spoke to at the NEC said they had modded a couple of bikes for this requirement already, which sounded OK.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 12:37 pm 
650 cc Monster

steveR wrote:
Well, after waiting months for a promised test ride day closer to home (Telford) I am going to go up to Bolton and try one with a view to getting one later in the year. No dealer other than "dahn Sarf", so no use to me. Still a trek to Bolton, lovely though I am sure it is, but I'll make a day of it ;-)

Looking forward to seeing if the bike fits me and my wonky old knees, as I do not like too much bend on the knee/hip joints on long road days, so a good seat to pegs distance is wanted. The guy I spoke to at the NEC said they had modded a couple of bikes for this requirement already, which sounded OK.

When you get there make certain you tell then exactly what terrain you want to ride on as they can tailor it to your needs, e.g.
Motorway for top speed stability
Technical trails for the slower speed stuff
Flowing trails for the more adventure bike rides
or whatever you want

They can also do modifications such as different tyres etc as part of the build process.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 7:09 pm 
125cc

PJT wrote:

When you get there make certain you tell then exactly what terrain you want to ride on as they can tailor it to your needs, e.g.
Motorway for top speed stability
Technical trails for the slower speed stuff
Flowing trails for the more adventure bike rides
or whatever you want

They can also do modifications such as different tyres etc as part of the build process.

Will be riding all of the above terrain and roads you mention!! :-) Hence my interest in the CCM...

In reality, A and B roads in the UK, then N and D in France with a bit of Motorway to get there, wherever "there" may be. Trails will be anything from UK nadgery to Spanish fast trails.

The willingness to tweak in the build is a plus point to me too, the problem will be in persuading the purse string holder that "I NEED" another bike.... Something might have to give... ;-) Possibly one of the stable may have to leave us.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:55 am 
50 cc

How did the test ride go?
Matt

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:53 pm 
125cc

Khanage wrote:
How did the test ride go?

From my RR on ABR! With a few editorial changes... :-)

Well, I finally popped up to Sunny Bolton last week, a 2 hr trundle through Shropshire and Cheshire on m,y Honda NX400 and then onto the M6 and other horrible motorways up to Bolton. They really need an easier place to have their factory! I took my single, as I wanted to compare the two bikes on ergos and engine*

I was met by John Drogan the sales bod, who is a really nice guy, then after lots of chat, I signed a disclaimer then out to the factory floor where I had a quick overview and familarisation with my bike. This was a 2013 bike... More will follow on this!

Then it was on with the gear and out into the sweltering heat with John. He is totally familiar with the locale and gave me what I asked for including a little spell of motorway, some trails and lots of winding B roads. A great 90mins ride and some nice scenery as well (outside Bolton!) Ace run leader!!

The Bike? Not for me I am very sad to say, the whole bike is I feel, far too raw and enduro/rally focused and categorically not a trail bike... After 20 mins of road work, we stopped for a cuppa and I suspect John was diappointed at my reaction but I would not want to ride it very far at all in it's present guise... certainly not down to Spain or Morocco... or even the Channel ports!! However, we kept on going and I had a pleasant tour around Bolton! :-)

For me, the CCM would have been too many compromises to get it right for my needs though, and at the end of the day there was still the engine... The bike I rode vibrated as badly as an Enfield Bullet and the cruising speed would have been about 45-50mph for vibe free mirrors, pegs and bars. I can believe John that the bike has had a hard life on the test circuit. The engine felt like a bag of spanners, rough and vibrated like hell. The engine pickup was cracking and it accelerated like a race bike up until it reached 50mph by which time it had reached it's cruising speed... Loads more power to come but really, really rough.. Handling was good, but as it only weighs about as much as a push bike, it should be :) Superb on fast open trails, but take it somewhere like I rode in Derbyshire t'other week, and it would be a PITA in nadgery...

In all, a less than wonderful experience for ME, and the bike is not worth 10 grand of my money (or even half that!). I was restrained in my comments on the ABR forum, but I question whether I would even want to take it trail riding... Great on fast tracks in Spain or Wales, on a muddy narrow Shropshire lane in January, I have my doubts. A bike I would ride across France...? Not in a lifetime, at least not in it's present form.

I would urge anyone who is pondering a CCM to get in touch as they are about to start a mobile series of tests and will come to your own place or somewhere nearby. However, I felt the trip to the factory was really worthwhile and helped me see what they were doing and what could be done by CCM to make the bike suitable for individuals.

I came away disappointed that the bike was not what I wanted it to be, and what I had convinced myself the bike was going to be like to ride and potentially own. BUT, you do need to go and try one yourself!!!

* The Honda won!!!
:mrgreen:

Last edited by steveR on Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:07 pm 
200 cc

Hi Guys

There are currently 2 CCM 450s being ridden from John O'Groats to Lands End right now in the Byway Tour of Britain. They are about half way with a good few hundred miles under their belts. I guided them through Northumberland earlier in the week. So, if you fancy a report from someone who has ridden a lot of green lanes on one consider getting in touch with Carla McKenzie who is part of the group:

https://www.facebook.com/TrailRidersFellowship

G

TRF communications contractor on the hunt for good photos, films and stories. If you've been riding and have a tale to tell, I'm interested. Drop me an email greg@trf.org.uk

The Green Lane Relay: https://vimeo.com/96521474

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next