TRF Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:53 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Decent 'adventure' boots?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:35 pm 
200 cc

I believe the TCX x-deserts are about on par with the toucans and are about £220 I think.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:06 pm 
200 cc

Those TCX deserts look good.

I'll see how I find my purchase when they turn up and keep the TCX's in mind as an alternative.

I still like those Toucans though !

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:11 pm 
200 cc

TCX X-Deserts for £224 http://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcy ... rod/106707
Free delivery, free returns.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:15 pm 
200 cc

PS - I find this guy's videos most useful for kit reviews: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_zhc8S7CyE

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:52 pm 
200 cc

Sorry, I take back what I said - looking at other videos it appears the X-Deserts are not as protective as the Toucans.

The Sidi Adventures do appear to be the most protective goretex adventure boots I can find. I will be buying a pair very soon.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:37 pm 
200 cc

I watched the video on the X deserts, they look a little too flexible.

My Alpinestars Scouts turned up.

I like them, very well made, they look and feel like a quality product.
Comfortable (untested on the bike yet) but supportive and protective.

I know other boots are more protective but these seem to offer a good balance.

The boots are quite high so offer more protection to my long lower legs. The waterproof lining goes high up the boot to stop water pouring in. I was surprised at some waterproof boots where the inner gusset only goes half way up- a downside when it comes to river crossings.

Not the most in your face boot but its no good wearing snazzy MX boots on a CRF250L ;)

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 8:20 pm 
200 cc

Picked up some Sidi Adventure boots yesterday, fair chunk of money but got a discount at £260. I like them so far.
I did look at the Alpinestars Toucans in Hein Gericke, but they're around £350. Very nice boots but not sure they are worth more than the Sidis.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:35 pm 
80 cc

Alpinestar Scouts .

I went looking at the TCX Infinity boots and came away with a pair of Alpinestar Scout boots. On comparing the boots it seemed that the Alpinestar Scouts were a better boot,with a solid construction with full grain leather easy to use buckles etc. The boots are strong but understated in style and non damaging to the bike. Also the boots were on offer at £125 which sealed the deal for me .At the full retail price i would have made further comparisons before buying. I have had the boots for 18 months and have used the boots on several continental trips and found them to be good boots and well worth the money paid for them.

Having owned and worn out numerous boots both road and off road ie Altberg, Akito Fieldsheer,Sidi,Gaerne, Alpinestar Tech MX 5 pairs Hein Gericke etc. etc.

I dont reccommed kit lightly but these are good touring boots without going OTT on MX Styling

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:23 pm 
300 cc

I've also got some TCX Infinitys (Actually i've had them so long they are Oxtar Infinitys)*

Not an off road boot at all, so despite having "the look" don't offer a huge amount of protection over a normal road boot, the sole certainly offers no grip but in their defence they are completely waterproof (except of course for the big hole in the top where your leg goes in ;) )

They are nice and comfy on the bike but I can't walk very far in them.... guaranteed blisters!

http://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcy ... prod/30361

*If you don't know the story; When Alpine Stars moved boot production from Italy to the far east, their former employees started up Oxtar. However Alpine Stars took offence as they thought it sounded too much like their leisure brand "A Stars" so after the threat of legal action Oxtar changed their name to TCX

http://www.nomadracing.co.uk No Byways were harmed in the making of this blog!

2006 KTM 450 Rally
2011 KTM 990 Adventure
2015 Honda CB500X

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:43 pm 
650 cc Monster

TCX Infinity...fantastic boot for road riding in the winter, but I wouldn't contemplate trail riding in mine.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next